27 January 2009

old man.

I was sitting in the reception area, reading National Geographic, trying to get lost in the pictures and feigning calm comfort. The door opened once, I kept my head down and someone exited. I wondered if she was going to the car with the rainbow-colored sticker. With a bit of a raucous the door opened again and I turned this time, I sat right next to the door, wondering if I had to get out of my shell and help this person. An elderly man, very much hunched over, greeted my fleeting smile and immediately said, "keep smiling." I turned back around; he moved slow, but it seemed he didn't need my assistance. He placed a hand on my shoulder, of course I looked in his eyes then, and repeated, "you have a nice smile. Keep smiling." I did my best and said thanks. Then he added, "get better." I wish I could already. He asked who I was seeing, if she was good, again said, "get better;" added, "you're cute," and shuffled to the door ahead. I kept up the (this-is-really-weird, a-bit-awkward, but-perhaps-quite-needed) thanks. As he struggled with opening and moving the door aside, he turned and once more offered, "you're really cute."

He is really sweet. Or something. Seeing as how that interaction went down in a psychotherapy office, I don't know with how much weight I should be considering his words, but my eyes watered from the sincerity in his voice.

1 comment:

  1. I love this one.
    I don't know him but I love this man too.
    I want to be this man.
    I love grandpa's.
    and I love you biz.

    ReplyDelete