29 June 2008

social friendmaking sites

Last week I got an email notification from facebook telling me I had a new message from "Jordann." (These past-school-mate-findings always freak me out and make me want to delete my profiles on these sites, but this time I decided to run with it and make the connection.) No way! Jordann was my Mormon best friend (for some reason I always called her my "Mormon best friend," maybe I wanted people to know I don't discriminate?) from first - fifth grade and it sent loss-of-words shock waves through my body. Come fifth grade, I moved to Fresno Christian and she moved to Auberry. The bond was broken.

Here's what I remember about Jordann: sleepovers at her house in Ranchos-- doughboy pool, a dry, parched-looking backyard, two dusty dogs, nintendo with the track-&-field pad, a halloween where I dressed up as a baby, popcorn, a reading from the book of mormon, her brother and sisters (and towards the end of our best-friendship a new baby brother, whom the parents named Will and I questioned why it was only Will and not William), changing Will's diaper and then discovering that Vaseline can also be used as chapstick; getting our ears pierced together on our 13th birthday and going to Malibu Grand Prix after on that hot summer saturday afternoon; giving her a "best friends" necklace-- a gold cracked heart, with the words "BEST" on top of "FRIENDS" which were divided by the crack, but properly spelled when the two halves were put together (Mark made fun of me for that by sarcastically suggesting I give it to Jordann in a "will you marry me?"-like manner by getting on one knee and asking, "will you be my best friend?" thanks brother).

Oh, Jordann. Good memories. And this brought up memories from elementary school, and since this year is my 10-year high school reunion, I put the two together and I think that an elementary school reunion would be incredibly awesome and oh-so-much better than a high school reunion. How much better was elementary school, where we all had total self-confidence and little homework, than high school which encourages self-doubt? Who out there went to Webster?! Go wolverines! Let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment